The ultimate guide for students applying as private candidates for the IGCSE exams in Singapore. The following will be covered:
- Why take IGCSE examinations
- What you need to know about the IGCSE exams before registering
- IGCSE examinations schedules in Singapore
- Contact details for the British Council Singapore
- Where and how to register for the IGCSE examinations in Singapore
- Payment and Fees with regards to the IGCSE examinations
- The syllabus and assessment covered for the IGCSE examinations
- After exams – your results
Why take IGCSE exams in Singapore?
IGCSEs are the world’s most well known international qualifications for children aged 14 to 16 years old. The IGCSEs are your gateway to higher education or professional studies in Singapore and overseas.
The qualifications help you to
- Get a place at college or university at home or abroad
- Find better career opportunities
- Develop lifelong skills that will help you lead a more exciting and successful life
- Pass the language tests for emigrating or studying in another country*
*Achieving at least a Grade C in IGCSE English is often enough to satisfy the language requirements for some universities in English-speaking nations.
What you need to know about the IGCSE examinations and qualification
The IGCSE examination processes are curated to be more straightforward.
Assessment ranges from written to oral tests, accompanied by practical exams and coursework. The IGCSE/ International GCSEs usually take around 2 years to complete.
There are more than 70 different subjects to choose from, subjects are subjected to availability depending on your school, country and chosen exam board.
If you take an exam with Cambridge Assessment International Education, you will be studying for an IGCSE.
If you take an exam with Pearson Edexcel, you will be studying for an International GCSE.
IGCSE exams schedule in Singapore
There are four opportunities for your child to sit for the IGCSE examinations.
- IGCSE, AS and A-Level examinations with Cambridge Assessment International Education in May/June and October/November
- International GCSE, International Advanced Level Examinations with Pearson Edexcel in January, May/June and October.
- GCE A-Level Examinations with Pearson Edexcel in May/June.
Contact details for British Council Singapore
|Monday-Friday||1000 to 1830|
|Saturday||0830 to 1600|
|Sunday and Public Holidays||Closed|
|All Centres||+65 6807 1599|
|Napier Road Centre
Address: 30 Napier Road 258509
+65 6807 1588
+65 6472 1010
Address: 1 Woodlands Street 31
#04-01 Fuchun Community Club 738581
+65 6807 1588
+65 6368 4643
Address: 11 Tampines Concourse
#01-02/03/04 Singapore 528729
+65 6807 1588
+65 6783 4509
|Toa Payoh Centre
Address: 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #09-01 HDB Hub, East Wing Singapore 310480
+65 6807 1588
+65 6397 2242
Alternatively, you can send them a message here.
Where and how to register for IGCSE exams in Singapore
You are required to follow the instructions to register your child for the IGCSE examinations in Singapore.
- You will need to complete and sign the registration form, which you can access here. Be sure to make and keep a photocopy of the registration form for your records.
- Submit one coloured passport size photograph. This must be identical and taken within the past three months.
- A clear photocopy of your valid ID card (NRIC) or passport.
Submit your completed form and supporting documents to Napier Road Centre either in person or by post. You will be able to receive your Statement of Entry and information about your examination venues approximately three weeks before your exams via email.
Click here for the CIE A Level Registration Forms
Click here for the CIE IGCSE Registration Forms
Payment and Fees
The fees of the respective examinations will be listed on the registration form. You are to note that your application will not be processed until you have paid for your examinations.
Payment method for IGCSE Exams
You can make payment in person at Napier Road Centre, and you can pay by credit card (Mastercard or VISA) or NETS.
You will have to pay a penalty fee if you register late for your examinations.
Withdrawals and refunds
If you wish to drop one or more examination subjects, you will have to contact the British Council Singapore at +65 6807 1599.
The syllabus and assessments
Studying as a private candidate for international qualifications in Singapore is uncommon, hence it is always advisable to find your child the best online tutor to guide them through their learning journey.
Tutopiya Online Tuition offers 1 to 1 individualised learning with a range of subjects and curriculums.
We also offer a pool of experienced and trained IGCSE tutors ready to tutor your child. Tutopiya believes that every child deserves undivided attention when it comes to learning and that every child succeeds differently.
Your IGCSE examinations results
Your exam results will be available to you for collection at Napier Road Centre or post to you upon request.